It probably won’t surprise you to hear that some salads aren’t as healthy as they could be, but fortunately that’s not the case with this revamped cancer-fighting salad. This nutritious salad is made with cancer-fighting ingredients and is a tasty way to help keep you healthy.
When prepared with the right ingredients, even a simple salad such as a roasted beet and kale salad can have cancer-fighting properties. This fresh take on a salad relies on only three potent anti-cancer foods to give it nutritional punch, and the result is an earthy yet slightly sweet dish that might help you ward off disease.
Learn more about cancer-fighting foods >>
Roasted beet and kale salad
Serving size 2
For the salad
- 4 medium beets
- 1/2 a bunch of fresh kale, preferably Tuscan kale (curly kale is pictured)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons walnut oil
- 1/2 cup goat cheese for garnish, optional
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Drizzle of honey to taste
Prepare the beets
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash the beets. Trim off the roots and stems.
- Lightly coat the beets with olive oil, and then wrap them individually in aluminum foil.
- Place the beets on a baking sheet, and roast them until tender, approximately 60 minutes, depending on their size.
- When done, allow the beets to cool enough to handle, and then peel off the skins, and cut them into small cubes.
Mix the dressing
While the beets are roasting, add the dressing ingredients to a small bowl or shaker. Whisk or shake until well blended.
Clean, chop and ready the kale
- Wash and dry the kale. Fold the leaves in half lengthwise, and cut off the stems and ribs. Rough-chop the remaining parts of the leaves into bite-sized pieces.
- In a medium bowl, add the kale leaves, and massage in about 1-1/2 teaspoons of walnut oil and a pinch of salt. Let sit until the beets have cooled and are ready to use.
- To assemble the salad, pour the dressing over the kale, and gently massage it into the leaves. Stir in the walnuts and beets, and then serve.
- Garnish with pieces of goat cheese if desired.