The Meatless Monday movement encourages people to do something positive for their health and the environment by going meatless once a week. Try it out for yourself with this delicious recipe!
Beets are both exceptionally vibrant and incredibly flavourful. They also happen to be an excellent source of folate, manganese and fibre, among other important nutrients. Plus, they’re the perfect blend of tender and crunchy! Try them out in this tasty salad and see for yourself. It makes a light and refreshing Meatless Monday lunch or dinner.
Serving size 4
- 1 cup millet
- 2-1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 medium-sized beets, peeled
- 12 cups packed mixed spring greens
- 2/3 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 a medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pear, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- In a medium pot, place the millet, and let it toast over low heat for 3–4 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir regularly to ensure it doesn’t burn. Add in the vegetable broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and let cook until all water has been absorbed — roughly 10–15 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool.
- In another pot, place peeled beets in water so that they are fully covered. Bring the water to a boil, and let the beets cook until they can be easily poked with a fork — about 30–40 minutes. Drain them, and set them aside to cool.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the spring greens, goat cheese, walnuts, red onion, pear and cooled millet.
- Once the beets are cool enough to touch, slice them into bite-sized pieces. Add them to the rest of the salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey and sea salt. Pour over the salad, and toss to combine. Transfer to bowls and serve.
The Meatless Monday website for more information about this fresh and exciting movement.