The Meatless Monday movement encourages people to do something positive for their health and the environment by going meatless once a week. Try it out for yourself with this delicious recipe!
Sweet potato cashew curry
Serving size 4
Recipe inspired by Chloe Coscarelli’s Panang Curry
Between the starchy sweet potatoes, the protein-filled tofu and the variety of vegetables, this is one filling and nutritious vegetarian dish.
Get more ideas when you check out these great vegetarian food blogs >>
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, shredded
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 (15-ounce) can baby corn, cut in halves
- 4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk (light or regular)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste (for a mild curry; add more, to taste, for a spicier dish)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Zest from 1 lime
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 3 cups packed spinach
- 1 (420-gram) package firm tofu, cubed
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the raw cashews on a tray, and toast them in the oven for 8–10 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Remove and let cool. Chop roughly, and set them aside.
- In a large wok or frying pan, heat the canola oil, onion, garlic and ginger over medium heat until fragrant — roughly 3–5 minutes.
- Add in the sweet potato, carrots and broccoli florets, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring regularly. Add in the baby corn, and let cook for another 3 minutes.
- While the vegetables cook, in a small bowl, combine the coconut milk, vegetable broth, red curry paste, cumin, sea salt, honey, lime zest and lime juice.
- Scatter tablespoons of peanut butter throughout the vegetables. Pour the coconut milk mixture overtop, and stir to combine. Add in the spinach, and let it wilt for 1–2 minutes.
- Add in the tofu, and stir to combine. Cover and let simmer, stirring regularly until all the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in a 1/2 cup of the cashews. Transfer to bowls, and top with the remaining cashews and a sprinkling of chopped cilantro.
Check out the Meatless Monday website for more information about this fresh and exciting movement.