Foodies, rejoice! Now you can make food from your favourite films and enjoy the same tasty dishes while you watch.
Pulp Fiction‘s “Royale with Cheese”
Pulp Fiction (1994) is responsible for the famous quote, “Do you know what they call a Quarter Pounder in Europe?” If you’ve watched the movie, you know the answer is “Royale with Cheese.” We’ve adjusted the classic McDonald’s recipe so it’s a little more calorie-friendly for a European burger treat.
Royale with cheese
Serving size 4
- 400 grams lean steak, minced
- 2 onions, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 sesame seed buns
- 8 processed cheese singles
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 tablespoons mustard
- 2 small handfuls of pickled gherkins
- In a bowl, use your hands to mix the minced steak, half the onions, salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into four patties.
- Heat a frying pan with a little oil, and pan-fry the burgers until cooked right through. Meanwhile, slice the burger buns and toast lightly under a grill.
- On the base of each bun, spread 1/2 a tablespoon each of ketchup and mustard, and repeat the process with the top bun.
- When the burgers are nicely browned on both sides, place a slice of cheese on the base, top with a patty and then another slice of cheese.
- Add the gherkins and remaining onions. Top with the burger lid.
American Pie‘s warm apple pie
You’ll never look at apple pie in the same way after seeing the 1999 classic American Pie.
Serving size 6
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Cut in the vegetable shortening until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle with water, and combine until the the mixture resembles dough.
- Divide the dough in half. On a clean, lightly floured surface, knead one half into a ball, and roll it out until you have enough to cover the base of your pie dish. Repeat to make the top crust.
- Add a little extra water if the dough appears too dry.
- Line your pie dish with the dough, and cut away the excess from the sides.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups thinly sliced and cored apple
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour and salt. Stir in the apples.
- Place the apple mixture into the pie crust.
- Dot the pie crust with butter. Cover with the top crust, and slit evenly to let steam escape. Seal the top crust to the bottom by pinching the edges together.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the filling begins to bubble.
Take a look at these lessons you can learn from movies >>
I Love You, Man‘s fish tacos
Peter Klaven is a real estate agent with no real men friends and no one to ask to be his best man. On a quest to find a new male best friend, he starts man-dating. He meets freeloading Sydney (Jason Segel) at an open house, and the two strike up an instant friendship, hanging out and eating the best fish tacos in the world.
Here’s how to make new friends >>
Serving size 4
- 1 kilo white flaky fish
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup whole-grain bread crumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons seasoning salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 tomatoes, cubed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced, seeds removed
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 packet of flour tortillas
- 4 cups rice bran oil (or similar)
- Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the fish into thin strips.
- You’ll need three separate mixing bowls: one with the eggs and water whisked together, one with the flour and seasoning salt and one with the bread crumbs. Dip the fish strips into the egg and water, then into the flour with seasoning salt and finally into the bread crumbs. Cover the strips, and place them in the fridge.
- In a deep fryer, bring the oil up to temperature, and add each crumbed fish strip one at a time. If you don’t have a deep fryer, use a large pot with 4 cups of rice bran oil or similar. Drain the fried fish onto absorbent paper.
- Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel, and microwave them until they are soft and warm (usually around 1 minute and 20 seconds).
- Combine a tablespoon of lemon juice with half of the cilantro, and pour over the shredded cabbage. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Put a layer of fish on the tortilla, top with avocado salsa and cabbage, and fold in half for a tasty treat.
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, remaining cilantro, jalapeno pepper, avocado oil and remaining lemon juice.
- Carefully fold in the avocado, season with salt and pepper, cover, and let the salsa marinate in the fridge until you are ready to serve it on top of the fish.
Get adventurous with avocado >>
Eat, Pray, Love‘s Margherita pizza
This scene from Eat, Pray, Love will have you drooling Homer Simpson style for pizza, so head on into the kitchen, and whip it up for yourself.
Serving size 4
- 300 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus a little extra
- In a large bowl, stir the yeast and salt with the flour.
- Make a well, and pour in 3/4 cups of warm water and the olive oil. Combine with a wooden spoon until the dough is wet.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead it until smooth. Cover with a tea towel, and set it aside in a warm place. You can leave the dough to rise if you like, but it’s not essential for a thin crust.
- Roll out the dough, and split it in half. On a floured surface, knead for 5 minutes before rolling out the dough into large, thin rounds, about 9 to 10 inches across. Lift the bases onto two floured baking sheets.
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- Handful of fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Mix the tomato paste, basil and crushed garlic together, and then season to taste.
Topping and garnish
- 125 grams mozzarella, sliced
- Handful of grated or shaved Parmesan
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- Handful of basil leaves (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Smooth the sauce over the bases with the back of a spoon.
- Scatter the cheese and tomatoes across the sauce, then drizzle with olive oil and seasoning.
- Bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes until crisp.
- Serve with a little more olive oil and basil leaves if using. Repeat the steps for the remaining pizza base.