The Meatless Monday movement encourages people to do something positive for their health and the environment by going meatless once a week. Try it out for yourself with this delicious recipe!
Tofu, quinoa and vegetable scramble
Serving size 4
Recipe inspired by Nutritionist in the Kitch
When enjoying a meat-free dish, many people worry they won’t be getting enough protein. But that certainly won’t be an issue with this tasty scramble. You’ll get three great sources of protein thanks to the tofu, quinoa and sunflower seeds. Plus, it’s loaded with vegetables to give you a healthy dose of vitamins and minerals. Now that’s a dish you can feel good about enjoying!
For more yummy meat-free recipes, check out these great vegetarian food blogs >>
- 1-1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 cups button mushrooms, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups packed spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 420-gram container of firm tofu, drained and chopped into cubes
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa. In a medium pot, place the water or vegetable broth and quinoa, cover with a lid, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and let simmer for 10 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa can be fluffed with a fork.
- In a large wok or frying pan, heat the olive oil, onions and broccoli over medium-low for 3–5 minutes or until the onions begin to sweat.
- Add in the carrots, mushrooms and garlic, and cook for 8–10 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.
- Add in the spinach and cherry tomatoes. Stir and heat for 1 minute.
- Add in the cooked quinoa, tofu, curry powder, cumin, sea salt and sunflower seeds. Stir thoroughly with a large spoon to combine. Press the spoon into the tofu to break it down into crumbles of varying sizes.
- Top with an additional sprinkling of sunflower seeds and sea salt for garnish, if desired, and serve.
Check out the Meatless Monday website for more information about this fresh and exciting movement.