What could be better than waking up to a tasty breakfast of French toast? How about a breakfast of sweet potato French toast? This popular breakfast food has been revamped, and the result is a delicious, orange-hued and slightly sweeter version of the original with the bonus of nutrition from the sweet potato.
Sweet potato French toast with banana-pecan sauce
Serving size 4
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup cooked, cooled and mashed sweet potato (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 slices of bread, such as Texas toast, French, challah or brioche (for best results, use day-old or stale bread)
- Add the eggs, milk, sweet potato and spices to a blender, and blend the ingredients together until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a large, shallow baking dish.
- Dip slices of the bread into the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides.
- Cook the bread in batches in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat for approximately 3 minutes per side or until browned and cooked through.
- Serve on its own, with your favourite topping or, for something really yummy, with banana-pecan sauce.
- 1 cup pecans, whole pieces or chopped
- 2 heaping tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- Add the pecans to a non-stick frying pan.
- Cook over medium heat until the nuts are toasted and fragrant, approximately 5–7 minutes. Stir often.
- Remove the pecans from the pan, and set them aside.
- Add 2 heaping tablespoons of butter to the pan. Melt over medium heat.
- Stir in the brown sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon. Continue to stir for a few minutes to melt the brown sugar.
- Add the pecans and bananas, and simmer, stirring often until the bananas have softened into the maple-brown sugar syrup.
- Serve warm over French toast, and sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.
Learn how to prepare a make-ahead brunch >>
Sweet potatoes are not only great tasting but also good for you, as they contain many essential vitamins and nutrients, such as vitamins B6 and C, beta carotene, potassium and dietary fibre. And preparing this vegetable is a snap. To quickly cook a sweet potato for the French toast or for a tasty side dish, simply wash the outside, prick the skin several times with a fork, and microwave on high for 5–7 minutes. Then peel and dice or mash the potato as needed.