Celebrate Canadian culture by taking advantage of our abundance of seafood. This creamy, flavourful dish is sure to have you wanting seconds.
Serving size 8
- 2 pounds of halibut fillets, bones removed, cubed
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onions, finely diced
- 1 cup bell peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 3–5 tablespoons flour (depending on your preferred thickness)
- 6 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Find out how your diet can affect your mood >>
- In a medium-sized pot, melt a couple of tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Sauté the onions until softened, add the potatoes, and cook for another 10 minutes. Add the rest of the vegetables, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the broth, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and add the halibut. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the milk slowly, stirring continuously. Then add the flour and the remainder of the butter, and stir until the mixture thickens. Cook for another 8 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese until it melts. Serve immediately.