Have you been avoiding pasta in an attempt to live a healthier lifestyle? You don’t have to give up on this delicious meal just because many of the options out there are unhealthy. With this nutritious recipe, you can make smart choices and still enjoy the comfort of a warm bowl of pasta.
Tomato and goat cheese whole-wheat spaghetti
Serving size 2–3
A dinner made entirely of healthy ingredients and that can be prepared in 30 minutes — what more could you ask for?
- 200 grams of whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 a large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups button mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cups packed fresh kale
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional, for garnish)
- Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain and set aside when done.
- Heat the olive oil and red onion over medium heat in a large wok.
- When the red onions have begun to soften (about 5 or 6 minutes), add in the mushrooms. Cook for 4–5 minutes.
- Add in the kale, and cook until wilted. Add in the cherry tomatoes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, goat cheese, oregano and salt. Add in the pasta, and combine thoroughly.
- Let the flavours cook together for a few minutes.
- Transfer the spaghetti to bowls, garnish with Parmesan cheese and some extra goat cheese if desired, and serve.