If you’re trying to maintain healthy habits, you might be getting a little bored with your current grab-and-go snacks. If that’s the case, then you simply must try out these trail mix cookies.
Trail mix cookies
Serving size 18-20
Trail mix is a healthy snack to take with you on the go, but if you’ve gotten tired of your usual mixes, it’s time to shake things up and enjoy this healthy choice in a nutritious cookie form.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almonds, halved
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/3 cup dates, chopped
- 1/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, rolled oats, almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, dates, cranberries, flaxseeds, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, maple syrup, canola oil, applesauce and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- With a large spoon, drop scoops of the dough onto a non-stick baking tray, about 1 inch apart. Flatten with a fork. Use your hands to shape the cookies into a rounder look for a more even appearance.
- Bake in the oven for 10–12 minutes or until the bottom edges turn a light golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from heat, and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
These trail mix cookies keep very well in a resealable container, or they can be stored in the freezer for later use, so you can always have a quick and healthy snack on hand for those busy moments!