Nuts and bolts: A simple and tasty holiday appetizer
Chances are you'll have a lot to cook over the holidays. Fortunately this nuts and bolts recipe can be made weeks in advance and simply poured into serving dishes when you need an appetizer in a flash.
Nuts and bolts
This is an incredibly budget-friendly and simple recipe to have on hand over the holidays. Because you have to bake several batches, it does take a few hours to make, but once you're done, you'll have a tasty appetizer that will last you for weeks!
- 1 (400 gram) box of Cheerios
- 1 (400 gram) bag of straight pretzels
- 1 (550 gram) box of Shreddies
- 1/4 cup soya sauce
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons celery seeds
- 1-1/4 cups olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Place the Cheerios, pretzels and Shreddies in a large container, such as a pickling pot.
- In a small bowl or a measuring cup, combine the soya sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, celery seeds and olive oil.
- Divide the Cheerios mixture among four baking trays. Return one of the trays to the pot, and add 1/4 of the dressing (roughly a 1/2 cup). Mix thoroughly so the oil is well distributed. Return it to the tray. Repeat this process with the other three trays.
- Bake each tray in the oven for 30–40 minutes, stirring once after 15–20 minutes. Turn off the oven, and let the trays sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven, and let them cool. Transfer the mix to the original pot, and store in a cool, dry place. The next time you need a light snack or a quick appetizer, just scoop out a bowl, and enjoy.
This is a great starter recipe, but don't feel limited. If you want to add in a few handfuls of peanuts or some of your favourite herbs and spices, don't hold back. It's your go-to appetizer, so have fun with it!