Holiday meals don’t have to be all fats and carbs. Add some greens to your holiday plate with this light and healthy Brussels sprouts side dish.
Nutty Brussels sprouts
If you want to include some healthy greens in your holiday meal but are tired of peas and beans, turn to the delicious goodness of Brussels sprouts. When tossed with onions and rolled in walnuts, they make for an attractive and scrumptious side.
- 35–40 Brussels sprouts, cut in halves
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts plus more for garnish, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic gloves, minced
- Salt (to taste)
- Place Brussels sprout halves in a large pot of water, and bring to a boil. Cook for 8–10 minutes.
- While the Brussels sprouts are boiling, place the onions and butter in a large frying pan or wok, and cook over medium-low heat until the onions begin to sweat. Add the garlic.
- When the Brussels sprouts are done boiling, drain them, and add them to the onions. Let cook, stirring regularly.
- After 5 minutes or so, stir in the walnuts and salt. Continue cooking until the Brussels sprouts begin to turn a light golden brown.
- Remove from heat, and transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with more chopped walnuts for garnish, and serve.