If you’re looking for a bread recipe with a bit of je ne sais quoi, this is it. This egg bread is delicious and beautiful, so it’s perfect for any occasion.
Braided egg bread
So, if you’re a fan of egg sandwiches and braids, may we interest you in some braided egg bread? This recipe will give you a warm, fizzy feeling, and it’s incredibly fun to make.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups of water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 beaten egg yolk
- A pinch of salt
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together 2 cups of flour and the package of yeast. Set it aside.
- In a saucepan on medium heat, stir together the water, sugar, margarine and salt until most of the margarine melts.
- Pour the water mixture into the flour, and toss in the eggs as well. Using an electric mixer, beat on low speed for a minute. Then beat on high speed for another 3 minutes. Now, using a wooden spoon or your hands, stir in the remaining flour (or as much of it as you possibly can).
- Plop the dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead in the flour until you get a stiff, smooth and elastic dough. Shape it into a ball, place it in a greased bowl, cover, and allow it to rise until it has doubled in size. This will take approximately 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down, then divide it into three parts. Roll each section into even “ropes,” and braid them. Cover, and let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Brush with the egg yolk, and bake at 375 degrees F for 25–30 minutes
Don’t be afraid to experiment! Try adding seeds or nuts to the dough for an extra pizzazz.