There’s a tendency in the cold months of winter to rely on soups and stews for lunch. And although there’s nothing wrong with that, it can be nice to have a refreshing yet filling salad every once in a while. So change things up with this hearty quinoa salad.
Hearty and refreshing quinoa salad
Serving size 4
This satisfying dish is easy to take with you on the go. The nutritious ingredients will fill you up and give you the energy you need to get through the day.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup radishes, finely diced
- Half a cucumber, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 green onion stalk, chopped
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 avocado
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly under cold water. Place it in a medium-sized pot with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cover with a lid. Let simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and let it sit for a few minutes. Remove the lid, fluff the quinoa with a fork, and let it cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, oilve oil, cumin, curry powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled quinoa, radish, cucumber, bell pepper, green onion, sunflower seeds and dressing.
- If serving immediately, divide the mixture into bowls. Cube the avocado, and distribute it over the dishes. Splash them with some lime juice to preserve their freshness. You can also sprinkle on some additional sunflower seeds for garnish. If you aren’t serving it immediately, simply cut and add the avocado as required.
If you’re planning to take the salad with you to work for lunch each day, simply cut the avocado into quarters. Place a quarter in a resealable container with your serving of salad. When lunchtime comes, just scoop the avocado out, and mix it into the salad. You’ll have a fresh and tasty salad in moments!