Whether you enjoy something traditional, something decadent or something on the lighter side, we have a hot chocolate recipe to suit your taste buds.
Traditional hot chocolate
Serving size 4
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes
If you’ve never made hot chocolate from scratch before, this simple recipe for a traditional beverage is a great place to start.
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the cocoa powder, water, sugar and salt in a medium pot over medium heat, and stir to combine.
- Once the cocoa powder and sugar have dissolved, add in the milk, cream and vanilla extract.
- Transfer to mugs, and enjoy!
Customizably decadent white hot chocolate
Serving size 4
Recipe inspired by Food Network
Whether you’re in the mood for something gloriously decadent or simple and low-fat, this recipe can deliver. Make your soothing drink your way.
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or coffee cream
- 4 cups skim milk, 2 per cent milk or whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whipped cream (optional garnish)
- Chocolate shavings or cocoa powder (optional garnish)
- Place the chocolate chips, cream and milk in a medium pot. Stir constantly over low-medium heat until the chips have dissolved. Add the vanilla, and continue stirring.
- Pour into mugs, top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings (if using), and serve.
The great thing about this recipe is you can make it as rich or as healthy as you want. If you want it to be low-fat, choose skim milk, and go light on the half-and-half cream. You can also forgo the whipped cream and top it with a sprinkle of pure cocoa powder instead. Or if you’re in need of a rich and decadent treat, use whole milk, coffee cream and a whole lot of whipped cream for garnish. It’s totally up to you!
Low-cal treat for one
Serving size 1
During the holidays you may be whipping up a big batch of cocoa for the whole family. But sometimes at the end of a long day, it can be nice to curl up with a mug just for you. And fortunately this low-calorie alternative is quick, easy and completely guilt-free!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1–2 tablespoons Splenda (to taste)
- Pour the almond milk in a mug.
- Heat it in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir in the cocoa powder and Spenda. Adjust quantities until desired sweetness is acheived. Keep stirring until fully dissolved.
- Place in the microwave and heat for another 30 seconds to a minute. When the beverage is at a desired warmth, give it another stir, and enjoy!