Everyone loves a piece of pumpkin pie in the fall. But why should you have to wait until nighttime to enjoy the best the season has to offer? Enjoy delicious autumn flavours from the moment you wake up with these healthy pumpkin spice muffins.
Healthy pumpkin spice muffins
Serving size 12
Grabbing a store-bought muffin that’s loaded with sugar and fat on your way to work is no way to start your day. Instead, give your body all the energy it needs with these nutrient-rich, fall-themed goodies!
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 1-1/4 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup soy milk (or other milk of choice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Combine the flaxseeds and water in a bowl, and chill in the fridge until required.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt and walnuts.
- Place the flaxseed-and-water mixture in another mixing bowl. Add in the sugar, pumpkin puree, applesauce, milk, oil and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir gently until just combined.
- Scoop the mixture into greased muffin tins.
- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients. Place a scoop of this mixture on each muffin, and spread gently.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool on an oven rack.
Enjoy your healthy autumn treat!