Mashed sweet potatoes are a great Thanksgiving tradition, but sometimes you need a little bit of a change. If you’re in the mood for something new, try these crispy and delicious sweet potato latkes this holiday.
Sweet potato latkes
Serving size 12
Latkes began as an Eastern European dish, but fortunately for us, the tradition has spread West for all to enjoy. They are traditionally made of grated potato, flour and egg but can be even more delicious when made with sweet potatoes. Soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside — what’s not to love? Enjoy them with sour cream, cottage cheese or any other condiment of your choosing!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, thinly diced
- 2 eggs (or egg alternative of your choosing)
- 3 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Olive oil, for frying
- Begin by peeling the sweet potatoes. Grate them by hand or with a food processor. Place the grated sweet potatoes in a strainer with diced onions, and press down with a paper towel. Repeat the process until you have removed as much moisture as possible.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, onions, eggs, flour, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt.
- Heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan over low heat.
- Shape the potato mixture into flat patties, and place them in the frying pan. Cook for roughly 3 minutes or until the bottoms begin to brown, then flip them. Continue cooking the other sides for 2–3 minutes. Keep heat low so the patties cook through without the outsides burning. Once both sides are golden brown, remove the patties from heat, and place them on a paper towel-covered plate. Repeat until all patties are cooked.
- Serve immediately with your favourite seasonings and/or condiments.