The classic English scone is a recipe that speaks of decadence and simplicity. In less than half an hour, the simple scone can be dressed up to indulge your sweet tooth, become a nutritious breakfast or be paired with a warm soothing drink.
The basic recipe for a classic English scone is simple.
Makes 12 scones.
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup of cold butter cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sift your dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the pieces are mixed evenly with the flour mixture.
- Add in your cream, egg and vanilla and mix until it becomes a soft dough mixture.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knead and roll out to a 3/4 thickness. Cut into circles and bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes.
The end product will be a light and fluffy biscuit. Kept simple, you can pair it with butter and jam for a delicious snack. Or use any of the following ingredients to create a mouth-watering decadent scone.
For breakfast: Add 1/2 cup of blueberries. For a healthy alternative, cut up an apple, add raisins and sunflower seeds.
For an afternoon snack: Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon with 1/2 cup of raisins and pair with a hot cup of tea or coffee. Or add an additional 1 teaspoon of vanilla and a 1/2 cup of raspberries. You could also add 1/4 cup of poppy seeds with 2 teaspoons of grated lemon peel and 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice.
For dessert: Add 1 cup of chocolate chips with 1 1/2 teaspoons of almond extract (substituted for vanilla in above recipe). For something a little less sweet but still as decadent, add an extra 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. After it is cooked, add a large spoonful of homemade whipped cream and your favorite jam.