Summer means cold drinks and yummy treats. Why head out to a coffee shop for an iced coffee when you can make your own at home, fast! Below are tips to make delicious low-calorie iced coffee.
If you have time:
- Place 2–3 teaspoons of sugar (or more, depending on how sweet you like your coffee) into a mug. For a lower-calorie option, use sweetener instead of sugar. Splenda works great.
- Pour in freshly brewed coffee, and stir to dissolve all the sugar. Fill a large glass with plenty of ice cubes, and pour the hot coffee over them.
- For a creamy treat, add some milk or cream to your liking. Or for an even creamier option, fill 1/3 of the glass with milk and the rest with sweetened coffee, then stir. Add more ice if needed.
Note: Add a flavoured syrup to the hot coffee and sugar before pouring it into the ice-filled glass. Try vanilla extract. For a nighttime treat, choose decaf coffee.
If you don’t have time:
- Mix 1–2 teaspoons of instant coffee (depending on how strong you want it to be) with 2–3 teaspoons of sugar or sweetener in a mug.
- Boil water, and pour it over the coffee mixture.
- Pour the coffee into a large ice-filled glass.
- Add milk or cream to taste, and stir. Add more ice if needed.
Note: Experiment with different flavoured instant coffees and decaf coffees. Add cocoa to the hot instant coffee for a mocha-inspired drink before pouring it over ice.
An instant iced latte
- Place 1–2 teaspoons of instant coffee into a cup of hot milk. Add 2–3 teaspoons of sugar (or sweetener for a lighter calorie option). This creates an instant latte-inspired drink.
- Pour coffee into a large ice-filled glass, and mix.
- Add more ice if needed.
Note: Use skim milk for a fat-free treat. Experiment with different sugar-free flavoured syrups in the hot milk for variety.