Forget about hitting the drive-through window in the morning. With a little planning, a delicious breakfast sandwich can be made at home and taken to go! These breakfast sandwiches will give the fast food joint a run for its money and keep you full all morning long.
French toast sandwiches
These sandwiches are a snap to prepare and can be made with almost any combination of bread and delicious fillings you want. Simply make the basic French toast recipe, add the desired fillings and cook until golden brown.
Basic French toast
Serving size 1
- 1 or 2 eggs, depending on the size and thickness of the bread
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 slices of bread — any bread will do, so feel free to use what you have on hand or whatever’s your personal favourite, but keep in mind a heartier, thick-sliced or day-old bread will work better with fillings
- 1–2 tablespoons butter
- In a small baking dish, beat the egg and milk together.
- Add the fillings to one slice of bread, top with the other bread slice and press together firmly.
- Dip both sides of the sandwich into the egg mixture, and let it soak in on each side.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the sandwich, and cook for approximately 3 minutes per side or until browned.
- Thinly sliced apple and extra-old white cheddar
- Black Forest ham and Swiss cheese
- Cooked bacon and cheddar slices
- Sliced strawberries and cream cheese
- Deli-style turkey and Gruyere
- Chunky peanut butter or hazelnut spread and sliced bananas
Biscuit sandwiches are a quick and no-fuss way to prepare a yummy breakfast! Keep it simple by using a refrigerated biscuit dough or a mix, then make the biscuits ahead of time, and store them in the freezer until needed. All it takes after that is a quick thaw in the microwave, and you’re ready to start pulling together a satisfying morning meal! Toasted biscuits add another dimension of flavour, so if desired, try slicing the biscuits in half, spreading them with butter and broiling them in the oven until golden brown. Now prepare your fillings, and you have a quick breakfast that will rival the fast food joints any day of the week! Here are some delish fillings to consider:
- A small sauteed portobello mushroom cap topped with onion-infused scrambled eggs
- A slice of cooked Canadian bacon topped with a fried egg
- A cooked sausage patty and a processed cheese slice
- Corned beef hash or sliced brisket with grated Swiss cheese
- A layer of fontina cheese topped with wilted spinach, a poached or scrambled egg and hot sauce if desired
- A drizzle of honey and processed cheese slices
- Chunky peanut butter, raisins and apple slices
- An everything scramble — scramble together eggs, sauteed mushrooms, peppers, onions, diced cooked ham or bacon and sharp shredded cheddar; top with salsa or spicy ketchup if desired