A strawberry is sweet and bite sized, rich in antioxidants and has the delicious ability to be enjoyed in many ways! Here are just three of the yummy ways to serve this delightful berry.
For a sweet burst of nutritious strawberry and spinach flavours, try this recipe.
Simply delicious strawberry spinach salad
Serving size 4
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups hulled and sliced strawberries
- 4 large handfuls of washed and trimmed baby spinach
- In a small bowl or shaker, mix together the balsamic vinegar, oil and sugar. Whisk or shake until fully combined. Set the mixture aside at room temperature for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the almonds to a small skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the almonds are toasted and fragrant. Let them cool.
- In a large bowl, toss the spinach, strawberries and almonds together.
- Divide evenly among four salad plates or bowls.
- Drizzle with the balsamic dressing and serve.
Berry easy strawberry treat
An uncomplicated creamy sweet creation.
Serving size: Allow 6 strawberries per person
- Whole strawberries with the leaves left intact
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sour cream (regular or low-fat)
- Wash the whole strawberries, then add them to a large platter.
- Place the sour cream in a small bowl, and add it to the platter.
- Place the brown sugar in a small bowl, and add it to the platter.
- Dip a strawberry into the sour cream, then into the brown sugar and enjoy.
Strawberry mousse dessert
Rich and decadent, this easy dessert is a crowd-pleaser.
Serving size 12
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (85 gram) package strawberry-flavoured Jell-O jelly powder
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups frozen strawberries, thawed
- 3 cups mini-marshmallows
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar in a 9 x 13-inch pan. Pat down evenly to form a crust.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the strawberry Jell-O powder in the boiling water.
- Stir in the milk, lemon juice, strawberries and marshmallows. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whip the whipping cream until soft peaks are formed.
- Fold the whipped cream into the strawberry mixture.
- Pour over the crust, and refrigerate until set.
- Serve chilled.