Watermelon is the quintessential summer food. Biting into a succulent piece of ripe red melon while allowing the sweet juices to drip haphazardly down your chin will evoke fond memories of the season in almost everyone! Keep those memories alive with these three recipes.
Minty fresh fruit salad
Serving size 6
- 1 cup cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 cup halved green grapes
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup diced kiwi
- 1 cup cubed canteloupe
- 6 sprigs fresh mint, julienned
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Mix all the washed and prepared fruit in a large bowl.
- Add the mint, sugar and lime juice to a small bowl. Muddle with a pestle or the back of a spoon to release the flavours.
- Add the muddled mint mixture to the fruit, and mix thoroughly. Cover the bowl with a seal or plastic wrap, and refrigerate for a minumum of 2 hours.
- Stir before serving.
Serving size 4–6
- 2 cups finely diced seedless watermelon
- 1/2 cup finely diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup finely diced sweet bell pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- Dash of kosher salt
- 4 pickled jalapeno slices, diced, or half a fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- Handful fresh cilantro, finely minced
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Sugar or honey to taste
- Combine the watermelon, cucumber, pepper and onion. Stir to mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix the salt, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice and sweetener. Pour over the fruit mixture, and stir to combine.
- Let the mixture chill and macerate for 2–3 hours.
- Serve over chicken or fish or on its own with tortilla chips for dipping.
Watermelon BBQ sauce
Serving size 1-1/2 to 2 cups
- 1/3 cup finely diced watermelon
- 1/2 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 1–2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soya sauce
- Dash of hot chili pepper flakes
- Dash of kosher salt to taste
- Mash or puree the watermelon to a very fine consistency.
- Add to a medium bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and mix well.
- Cover with a seal or plastic wrap, and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Use as a marinade for pork or chicken, or enjoy on its own as a topping for veggies or meats.