Crepes with all the fixings
There's nothing better than a batch of warm crepes for a lazy weekend brunch. And with so many ways to customize them, you can enjoy your crepes just as you like. Whether you're a lover of sweet or savoury, you are sure to find a filling and topping option that are just right.
Serving size 12
These French treats are favourites of children and adults alike. They're totally customizable and require less effort than you might think. Whip them up at your next brunch, and you're sure to be the hero of the day!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Stir in the milk, water and salt.
- Slowly add in the flour and stir vigorously until no lumps are present. Let cool in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat a crepe pan or small frying pan over medium heat. Wait until the pan is hot enough that a dollop of butter sizzles and slides over the surface of the pan easily.
- Pour a few tablespoons of the batter onto the buttered pan. Immediately tilt the pan in a circle to spread the crepe out evenly. It should achieve a thin circle that is close in size to the circumference of the pan.
- Fry for about a minute, or until the top of the crepe no longer looks wet like batter. Flip the crepe over and let the other side cook for 10 seconds. Remove from heat and place on a plate covered with tinfoil to keep it warm.
- Repeat until batter is used up. You will need to add a little more butter every two to three crepes so the batter can spread easily on the pan.
- Fill crepes with your favourite toppings and enjoy!
Note: A crepe pan is preferable, as the shape allows for even distribution, but crepes can be made on a regular frying pan if necessary.
Filling and topping options
Crepes can be loaded up with fillings and then rolled, folded in half or shaped into triangles depending on preference. Finish them off with your favourite topping.
- Sprinkle of lemon juice and a couple pinches of granulated sugar
- Honey, maple syrup or jam of your choice
- Peanut butter and jam
- Almond butter and sliced bananas
- Crushed walnuts and a teaspoon or two of honey
- Chocolate-hazelnut spread and sliced strawberries
- Blueberries and whipped cream
- Melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon
- Orange marmalade, a squeeze of lime juice and a splash of Grand Marnier
- Baked apples, sliced and rolled in a mixture of brown sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon
- Sliced strawberries, plain yogourt and a drizzle of honey
- Roasted red peppers, sauteed mushrooms and mozzarella cheese
- Roasted portobello mushrooms, arugula and Asiago cheese
- Feta cheese with sauteed mushrooms, onions, garlic and spinach
- Grilled chicken, sundried tomatoes, pesto and mozzarella cheese
- Avocado and goat cheese
- Diced sundried tomatoes and ricotta cheese
- Smoked salmon, cream cheese and chives
- Scrambled eggs, bacon bits and cheddar cheese