For a tropical take on tacos, why not combine seafood with coconut and jerk seasoning, then temper it with the sweetness of juicy watermelon? The result is mouth-wateringly delicious.
With the sun shining, our tastes turn more toward light, refreshing foods. We recently taste-tested this taco recipe when hosted by the National Watermelon Promotion Board, and it will fit the bill perfectly for your chic summer soirees. Prefer not to use lobster tails? We think substituting some grilled shrimp would be just as tasty.
We already know we’ll be returning to this taco dish all season long. It’s sweet thanks to juicy watermelon chunks and spicy thanks to the Jamaican jerk seasoning. If you like appetizers with even more spicy zest, add some chopped jalapeno peppers to the mixture too.
Tip: To pick a good watermelon in the grocery store, make sure the rind is free of nicks and dents and that the fruit is symmetical in shape. Pick it up; it should feel heavy given that watermelon is mostly water, and you want one with lots of water. There should be a yellow spot on it, which is where the melon was resting on the ground as it soaked up the sunshine and ripened.
Jamaican rock lobster tacos
Serving size 8–10
- 4 rock lobster tails, cooked
- 2 cups watermelon, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 avocados, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 papayas, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 ounce shredded coconut
- 8–10 soft taco shells
- Cut the lobster tails in half lengthwise, remove the vein, then cut into 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Combine the lobster with the watermelon, avocados, papaya and cilantro.
- Pour lime juice into a small bowl, and slowly whisk in honey and jerk seasoning. Pour over the lobster mixture and refrigerate one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Fill the taco shells with the lobster mixture and garnish each with lettuce and coconut.
More seafood recipes
Honey lime fish tacos with tomatillo sauce
5 fish recipes featuring trout
New Mexico ceviche recipe
Leave a Comment