This healthy and delicious relish takes relatively little work and will remain good to eat for years to come. Serve it on burgers, in wraps or as a complement to pork, beef or chicken year-round.
Green tomato relish
Serving size 6 cups
- 3-1/2 pounds green cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 onions, diced
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon allspice
- 1/2 tablespoon celery seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/4 lemon, sliced thinly
- 1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- Lay the tomatoes and onions flat on a large baking tray. Sprinkle salt overtop. Let stand overnight.
- The next day, transfer the vegetables to a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water.
- In a large pot, combine the spices, sugar and vinegar on medium high-heat. Bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes, onions, lemons and peppers.
- Let cook for 45 minutes, stirring regularly and scraping down the sides to prevent buildup.
- Transfer the hot mixture into warm, sterilized jars immediately. Fill the jars to the brims and seal them tightly using rubber gloves.