A fruity treat: Recipe for rumpot
Now that spring is here and summer is just around the corner, it's time to dive into those fruit recipes you've been resisting. During the warm weather, fruit is at its absolute best, both in quality and in price. So stock up now on all the on-sale produce, and enjoy your favourite fruits year-round in this tasty rumpot!
Serving size 30
Fruit can become overpriced and less than spectacular in taste when the winter months arrive. So buy your produce now when it's at its best, and preserve it in this delicious rumpot that can be consumed through the summer months and all year long. Buying fruit when it's in season or on sale is a great way to enjoy the best nature has to offer and save money in the process!
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups rum
- 1 pound strawberries, sliced
- 1 pound green seedless grapes, halved
- 1 pound blueberries
- 1 pound peaches, cubed
- Combine 1 cup of sugar and the strawberries in a bowl. Thoroughly coat the strawberries in sugar. Let sit for 20 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a 4-litre jar with an airtight lid. Add 2/3 cup of rum and stir.
- One week later, follow the same steps with the grapes. Then a week following that, repeat with blueberries. Finish by performing exactly the same steps with the peaches.
- If your jar is completely airtight, you can keep it on the counter. If it has any openings, though, it should be stored in the fridge, or it may attract fruit flies.
- The mixture is good to eat for months, so enjoy it with over ice cream or on its own all year long!
Note: Avoid putting fruits in the fridge before adding them to the rumpot, as this can suck out some of their flavour. Instead, buy each fruit the day you are planning to incorporate it into the mixture, and keep it on the counter until it's ready to be used.