Celebrate the arrival of patio weather, and awaken your taste buds with these refreshing cocktails.
Spring is here, and it’s a perfect time to enjoy the longer days, sunshine and the opportunity to freshen up our homes and yards. So why not freshen up your cocktail choices as well? Instead of opening another bottle of merlot to serve your guests, try whipping up a pitcher of fruity sangria to sip on. Perhaps after a long Saturday afternoon of yardwork, a thirst-quenching margarita or a cool, minty mojito on the patio might just fit the bill. So take a break and enjoy a yummy cocktail. Here are five other favourite springtime sippers to try.
- 1 lime wedge
- 3 English cucumber slices
- 2 ounces gin
- 4 ounces tonic
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- Squeeze the juice of the lime into a highball glass.
- Add the cucumbers and muddle lightly.
- Add ice, then pour in the gin and tonic.
- Garnish with the sprig of rosemary.
Long Island iced tea
- 1/2 ounce gin
- 1/2 ounce light rum
- 1/2 ounce tequila
- 1/2 ounce triple sec
- 1/2 ounce vodka
- 2 ounces sweet-and-sour mix
- Splash of cola beverage
- 1 lemon wedge for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the gin, rum, tequila, triple sec, vodka and sour mix. Shake then pour into a Collins or a cooler glass.
- Top with cola and garnish with the lemon wedge.
Pineapple melon ball
- 2 ounces melon liqueur
- 1 ounce vodka
- Splash of pineapple juice
- Melon balls for garnish
- Mix all the ingredients except for the melon balls into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake a few times, then strain and pour into a martini glass.
- Serve with a cocktail skewer of melon balls as a garnish.
- 2 ounces limoncello
- 3 ounces fresh lemonade
- Splash of cranberry juice
- Splash of lemon-flavoured sparkling water
- A twist of lemon
- Add the limoncello, lemonade and cranberry juice to a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake a few times, then strain into a Collins or a cooler glass filled with ice.
- Top with a splash of soda and the lemon twist.
- 1/3 cup muddled raspberries, divided
- 8 ounces ginger ale
- 4 ounces cranberry juice
- 4 ounces raspberry juice
- 1 sprig of mint
- Place the raspberries at the bottom of a tall glass.
- Mix the ginger ale, cranberry juice and raspberry juice into a small pitcher.
- Add ice to the glass and top with the ginger ale mixture.
- Garnish with the sprig of mint.