It’s common knowledge that a healthy breakfast is an important start to your day, so why not give your taste buds a treat and try homemade granola? It’s easy, tasty and, when you make it from scratch, you can control the ingredients!
Granola can be a healthy breakfast or a snack any time of the day. Enoy it on its own, as a cereal with milk or add it to your yogurt and fruit for a satisfying crunch. Granola is a cinch to prepare and easy to modify to suit your own tastes. Here are two granola recipes that are sure to hit the spot.
Fruit ‘n’ honey granola
- 2-1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl combine the oil, honey, sugar and vanilla.
- Pour the oil mixture into the oats and mix well.
- Spread the oat mixture evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from oven and mix in the almonds. Return to oven and cook for an additonal 10 to15 minutes, or until it’s fragrant and toasted. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the apricots, raisins and cherries.
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1 cup of your favourite nuts, chopped; try a mixture of almonds and walnuts
- 1 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line one or two (depending on the size) baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, oil, brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly.
- Spread the oat mixture evenly on the baking sheet(s).
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the mixture is lightly toasted. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from the oven.
- In a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients except for the raisins.
- Add the toasted oatmeal and mix.
- Return the granola to the baking sheet(s) and bake until golden brown, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, add the raisins and cool before storing.