A surefire way to stay warm this season is to curl up with a delicious cocktail [while also cuddling up to, say, a loved one underneath a blanket]. So SheKnows.com contacted a few of Canada’s top mixologists for their custom-made cold-weather bevies. Here are our top three favourites warm cocktail recipes.
Scorched Marshmallow Hot Chocolate
From the trendy Drake Hotel in Toronto [where many a celeb spends their time], comes this sweet show-offy spin on a cold weather staple.
- 1 oz Frangelico
- 1 cup of hot chocolate [preferably steamed with 10 percent cream]
- 3 large marshmallows
- Mix all ingredients together in a shaker and pour into an oversized coffee mug.
- Carefully place the marshmallows on a skewer and set them on fire using a cooking torch.
- With the marshmallows ablaze, gently dunk them into the hot chocolate and Frangelico mixture, extinguishing the flame.
- Top with whipped cream.
The Apothecary [or Dottore or Proust]
Another soul-warming beverage comes to SheKnows.com from the amazing Toronto scotch bar and restaurant, The Emmet Ray.
1 oz bourbon
1 oz cognac
½ to 1 oz Burkes bitter tincture [custom artisanal bitters made by a fab bartender and regular at the bar, Kyle Burch] Note: any type of bitter will do
½ tsp buckwheat honey
A drizzle of green chartreuse
2 oz of almost boiling water
1. Mix ingredients together in a snifter glass.
2. Stir gently.
3. Add hot water.
4. Garnish with an orange rind.