Summer is about drinking light, and refreshing flavourful drinks, so put that wine or beer down and try one of these crisp summer cocktails instead. The classic mint mojito is a cool, minty choice, while The Broken Lawn Mower is a spicy cocktail, with just enough kick to give this drink a savoury flavour. So whichever tasty cocktail you decide to taste-test you won’t be disappointed!
Classic Mint Mojito
The classic mint mojito is a refreshing cocktail that combines lime and mint, for a drink perfect for an afternoon party or summer barbecue. In this video, hosted by Bahama Breeze Senior Development Chef Peter Olsacher, you can learn how to make the perfect mint mojito!
- 3 lime wedges
- 4-6 mint sprigs
- Simple syrup
- Crushed iced
- Splash of soda
- Sugar cane for garnish
In the video, Chef Olsacher uses Garapo–the juice of sugar cane, which they use at Bahama Breeze restaurants– however, you can substitute simple syrup at home.
The Broken Lawn Mower
The Broken Lawn Mower is another fabulous cocktail to give a whirl. This drink is the perfect cocktail for Dad on Father’s Day or any time he needs a break from his weekend chore list–if dad’s looking a little stressed, hand him one of these.
- 1-1/2 oz. Sobieski Vodka
- 3 oz. chilled beef bouillon
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce, or to taste
- 1 dash habanero sauce (optional)
- 1 oz. fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle powder
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Spicy salt (equal parts coarse salt, black pepper, chipotle or regular chile powder and lime zest)
- Moisten rim of highball glass with lime.
- Roll outer lip in a saucer filled with the spicy salt mixture.
- Shake all ingredients thoroughly.
- Strain over ice into the pre-rimmed highball glass.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and a pickled hot pepper.
“The Broken Lawn Mower is best served with lots of ice and a spicy pickled hot pepper for that extra kick,” says mixologist Tad Carducci, who created this cocktail. “The peppery Dankowski rye in Sobieski Vodka matches well with the spicy flavours in the Broken Lawn Mower. I recommend enjoying a Broken Lawn Mower outside in the backyard over a great conversation with your Dad.”
Sobieski Vodka tastes great served neat, chilled, on the rocks or in a wonderful summer cocktail. It is widely available at a retail price of $10.99 for a 750 ml bottle.