Ever wanted to make Potato Salad, but needed a way to cut out some of the fat? This recipe is right up your alley. The authors of Food FAQs: Substitutions, Yields & Equivalents, Linda Resnick and Dee Brock, created a delicious recipe for a mayonnaise-free Potato Salad — all the taste, but with much less fat!
Hold the mayo!
- 2 pounds potatoes (red or a waxy variety)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (about 1 medium stalk)
- 2 tablespoons onion (about 1 ounce of raw onion), scallion or chives
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese, pureed in blender
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender yet firm. Drain.
- Cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces (peel first, if desired). Add the chopped celery and onion to the cooked potatoes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cottage cheese and yogurt. Pour onto the potato mixture and toss until they are lightly coated. Season to taste.
More potato salad