Make Frozen characters as gingerbread men this holiday season
Can you believe Disney's Frozen is still going so strong? I mean the movie was released in 2013 and it's still making a gazillion dollars in revenue. My 7-year-old is most definitely a Frozen fanatic and loves (loves) everything remotely Frozen themed. It could be an old dirty dish rag and if it had Queen Elsa on it, she'd want it. So instead of a dirty dish rag, I figured I'd make her some cookies.
My kiddos love gingerbread and I like to make them gingerbread men cookies every holiday season, but with a twist by mixing them up with some interesting characters. This year's theme is Frozen (of course!).
To make these Frozen characters in gingerbread men form, all you need is some gingerbread cutout cookies, some melting candy/wafers, and a handful of assorted sprinkles and candies.
Olaf's nose (everyone's favorite snowman) is an orange candy-coated sunflower seed.
Elsa is made with light blue and pale yellow melted candy wafers. I asked my 7-year-old why all the girls like Elsa more than Anna. She said "because Elsa has ice powers of course." OK, makes total sense.
And in case you are not a big Frozen fanatic, the rest of the characters (from the top) are: Kristoff, Sven, Elsa, Olaf, Anna, Prince Hans and the marshmallow snow monster.
Frozen-themed gingerbread cookies recipe
Instead of using a store-bought gingerbread cookie mix, you can also use your favorite homemade rolled cookie recipe if you would like to use a different flavor as your cookie base.
Yields 12-15 cookies (depending on the size of your cookie cutter)
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Decorating time: 2 hours | Total time: 2 hours 45 minutes
- 1 box/bag of store-bought gingerbread cookie mix
- Extra flour for rolling cookies
- Gingerbread-man-shaped cookie cutter
- 1 cup of skin-toned tinted royal icing (1-1/2 tablespoons of meringue powder, 2 cups of powdered sugar, 2-1/2 tablespoons of warm water) and brown food dye
- Various colors of melting candy wafers (light blue, white, black, purple, dark blue, yellow, red, gray, brown) — you can buy these at most craft stores or stores like Target/Walmart have them now.
- Various sprinkles (pearl/light blue balls, dark blue long sprinkles, small hearts, black circles)
- Candy-coated sunflower seeds
- Pretzel pieces
- Edible food markers
- Mix cookie mix as directed on package. Refrigerate mixed dough for at least 2 hours before rolling.
- Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness and cut out gingerbread men shapes. Bake at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes. Let cool.
- Make royal icing. Mix all royal icing ingredients until smooth. Add a tiny dab of brown dye to get the skin tone color (this will be the face/hands on some of the cookies).
- For Elsa: Pipe royal icing for head/neck/hands/part of legs/feet. Let dry. All the rest of the detail is candy melt. Add 1/2 cup of melting wafers in color needed to a zip-close baggie and microwave in 20 second intervals until just melted. Snip a small end and "pipe" on the details by looking at photos (hair/dress/shoes). Add blue/white pearl sprinkles for details on dress before candy is hardened. Attach small pink heart as her mouth and add blue eyes with edible food marker.
- For Anna: Pipe royal icing for head/hands. Let dry. All the rest of the detail is candy melt. Melt candy as above and "pipe" on the details by looking at photos (hair/dress/cape/boots). Add yellow candy-coated sunflower seed. Attach small red heart as her mouth and add blue eyes with edible food marker.
- For Olaf: Melt candy as above and "pipe" on the details by looking at photos (body/stick arms/hair/eyes/mouth). Add orange candy-coated sunflower seed as carrot nose and black sprinkles/candies as black buttons.
- For Sven: Melt candy as above and "pipe" on the details by looking at photos.(body/hooves/mane/eyes). Add large brown oval candy as snout/nose and pretzel pieces as the antlers.
- For Kristoff: Pipe royal icing for head. Let dry. All the rest of the detail is candy melt. Melt candy as above and "pipe" on the details by looking at photos (hair/clothes/boots). Add brown eyes with edible food marker.
- For Prince Hans: Pipe royal icing for head. Let dry. All the rest of the detail is candy melt. Melt candy as above and "pipe" on the details by looking at photos (hair/clothes/boots). Add green eyes with edible food marker.
- For marshmallow monster: Melt candy as above and "pipe" on the details by looking at photos (body/mouth/claws). Add blue sprinkles around mouth as teeth and round blue sprinkles as eyes.
- Use whatever sprinkles and candies you may have around to enhance them as needed.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.