One-Pot Wonder: Veggie loaded one-skillet chicken fried rice
Mushrooms and onions sautéed in wine and butter found their way into this fried rice, along with fresh asparagus, tender chicken and more. To add to the goodness, edamame is the perfect complement to this dish.
One of the many things I like about this meal is that it's made in one skillet, which is a good thing, because it means fewer pots and pans to wash. And my fave part is eating this in one bowl so I can taste a little of everything with each bite.
If you happen to have any leftovers, it warms up nicely in the microwave and tastes great for lunch or even a snack. And feel free to throw in some extra veggies you might have in the fridge. The more, the merrier.
One-skillet fried rice with chicken and asparagus recipe
Fried rice made with chicken, asparagus, edamame and mushrooms and onions sautéed in wine and butter — this one-skillet meal comes fully loaded with veggie and chicken goodness.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
- 12 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (for the mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (for the chicken)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced widthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (for the chicken)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups cooked white rice, chilled
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (for the rice)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- 1/4 cup edamame
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced (for garnish)
For the mushrooms
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat, and add the olive oil, onions and mushrooms. Stir together.
- Sauté until the mushrooms start to brown (about 5 minutes).
- Add the butter and wine.
- Continue cooking until the wine reduces (about 8 minutes).
- Transfer the mushrooms and sauce to a bowl, and set it aside.
- Heat the same skillet on medium heat, and add the olive oil, chicken, pepper and garlic. Stir together.
- Continue to stir as the chicken cooks. When the chicken starts to brown (about 6 minutes), add the soy sauce, and continue to stir until the chicken is thoroughly cooked (about 5 more minutes).
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl, and set it aside for a moment.
- Heat the same skillet on medium heat, and add the canola oil.
- Add the carrots, and stir. Cook the carrots for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pan, and stir.
- Add the soy sauce, and continue to stir. Let cook for about 7 minutes, and continue to stir.
- When the rice starts to brown slightly, move it over to the sides of the pan so that the middle of the pan is clear.
- Add the eggs to the middle of the pan, and stir them as they scramble. Slowly incorporate the eggs into the rice mixture. Stir all the ingredients together.
- Add the asparagus, and stir.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, and stir.
- Add the edamame, and stir.
- Serve in shallow bowls or plates. Top with chicken, and garnish with sliced radish.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.