Easy hot apple pie rolls made in just 20 minutes
If it's easy to make, and semi-homemade, count me in. This is one of those desserts that tastes like it would take more time to make than it really does.
We need to keep it a secret that the main ingredient comes right out of a can. OK, pinky swear? This hot apple pie roll is made with only three ingredients, well four if you count the canola oil. All you need is a large flour tortilla, can of apple pie filling and cinnamon. Just spoon the filling in the tortilla, sprinkle some cinnamon on it, roll it, and quickly fry it in the canola oil. And that's it for a crispy gem of a treat.
Then comes the fun part, while the apple pie roll is still hot, serve it with vanilla ice cream. Then since we're on a roll (so to speak), top with whipped topping, and sprinkle on some chopped walnuts. Last but not least, top with a cherry.
The cherry on top is so pretty and makes this dessert look like it should be framed. This hot apple pie roll is a hit every time I make it. But remember, it's our secret just how easy it is to make.
Hot apple pie rolls recipe
A quick and easy hot apple pie dessert made with just a few ingredients and served topped with ice cream, whipped cream, chopped walnuts and a cherry. It's a hit every time and no one will know it's semi-homemade.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup canola oil (or more depending on the size of the pan)
- 12 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 3 cups whipped cream or whipped topping
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 maraschino cherries, stems on
- On a large plate, lay a tortilla.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of apple pie filling in a horizontal "line" in the middle of the tortilla about 3 inches from the side closest to you.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top of the pie filling.
- Roll the tortilla once over the filling.
- Fold the left and right sides in toward the middle of the tortilla.
- Roll the remaining tortilla to form the apple pie roll.
- Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas. Reserve any leftover pie filling for garnish.
- Heat a medium-size pan on medium heat and add the canola oil.
- Carefully add the pie rolls with the folded side down. They may need to be cooked in batches depending on the size of the pan.
- Using tongs, gently turn the pie roll as the bottom side turns a golden color.
- Continue cooking until all sides of the pie rolls are a golden color. They cook fast so they need to be turned fairly quickly.
- Remove from the pan and set on a plate with a paper towel.
- While the pie rolls are hot, serve them in shallow bowls. Top with ice cream, whipped cream, nuts and a cherry.
- Add any leftover apple pie filling to the serving dishes.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.