When it comes to the holidays, most of us throw our diets out the window and plan to worry about it on Jan. 1. But I have another trick up my sleeve.
Instead of pretending like winter weight gain doesn’t exist until the new year, I plan ahead and stay (relatively) healthy throughout the holidays with a very special holiday survival smoothie recipe. In fact, this year I’m even going to send the recipe with my holiday cards so all my friends and family can share in it too.
The first thing you have to do, of course, is get all your ingredients together. I typically like to make a large batch of this smoothie so I can have it ready to go all week long. But there’s nothing wrong with taking it one day at a time.
The reason I love this smoothie recipe is that it has everything you need this season: bananas for potassium and vitamin C, avocados for good fats and vitamin E, apples for dietary fiber, cilantro for helping with digestion and all kinds of vitamins and kale for iron and other vitamins. I love adding some fresh lime juice for a slight kick and using unsweetened almond milk (for the protein) and coconut water (for the hydration benefits) as a base.
One of the trickiest parts of this recipe is getting that darn avocado seed out. Here’s my trick: Smash it (carefully) with a knife so it is embedded in the seed. Then simply twist the seed to the left (or right), and it should pop right out.
After you’ve chopped, deseeded and otherwise gotten all your fruit and veggie ingredients together, it’s time to put it all in your handy high-powered blender. Personally, I love using my Ninja kitchen blender to get the job done. Then you simply add in your almond milk and coconut water. And now it’s time to blend!
Holiday survival smoothie recipe
Get through the holidays with this delicious green smoothie made with fruits, vegetables and a healthy dose of coconut water and almond milk.
Prep time: 7 minutes | Total time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1/2 apple
- 1/2 avocado (I used Florida avocados, which are bigger, but you can use 1 whole Hass avocado instead)
- 1/4 bunch of cilantro
- 1/2 bunch of kale
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 (500 milliliter) bottle coconut water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Cut the banana into 3 to 4 pieces; deseed the apple, and chop it into a couple pieces; and scoop out the avocado with a spoon. Put it all into the blender.
- Roll up the cilantro, and coarsely chop it. Remove the stems from the kale, roll up 3 to 4 leaves together, and then chop them into thin strips. Add them to the blender.
- Add the coconut water and finally the unsweetened almond milk. Blend it all together, and enjoy.
All photos by Tiffany Hagler-Geard/SheKnows.