The thrill of New Year’s Eve pretty much ended when college did. I mean, am I right or what? Or is it just me who builds the day up in my head only to be sorely disappointed with the actual (or lack thereof) festivities. And since no one wants to babysit, get-togethers with friends are either impossible or completely lame.
So instead of trying to make a night out work, I’ve resigned myself to just making a special night in. Chances are that’s going to involve some Champagne, so why not carry that theme over into a beautiful kale and pear salad topped with crunchy, cheesy, blue cheese toasts?
It’d go perfectly with a nice, juicy filet of beef to ring in the new year at home.
Kale and pear salad with Champagne dressing recipe
Make this simple, elegant salad with Champagne dressing, and top it with blue cheese croutons to celebrate the new year.
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1 bunch Tuscan (lacinato) kale, chopped
- 1 ripe pear, chopped
- 1 slice hearty bread
- 1 ounce blue cheese (or Gorgonzola)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the kale and pear, and toss together.
- Spread the blue cheese on the bread, and toast until crispy and melted.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over the kale, and toss to coat.
- Place the salad in a serving bowl.
- Cut the blue cheese toast into small squares, and place on top of the salad.