I absolutely love gingerbread. I love the super-spicy, slightly sweet flavor, and I know that when it’s time to bake it, the holidays are here. While I do enjoy traditional gingerbread, I wanted to change things up and make something more elegant but also kid-friendly this year.
Rather than making a loaf, I decided to make them into cupcakes, fold in fresh, diced pears for a tiny bit of sweetness and top them off with a rich and creamy cinnamon frosting. These are a perfect holiday dessert if you want something small and are great for kids, since they are cupcakes, and everyone loves cupcakes.
Gingerbread-pear cupcakes with cinnamon frosting recipe
These cupcakes have all the flavors of gingerbread, but with a pear twist. Top these tasty treats off with the creamy cinnamon frosting for a holiday-worthy dessert.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Bake time: 20 minutes | Inactive time: 1 hour | Total time: 1 hour 40 minutes
For the frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3-3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon dried cinnamon
For the cupcakes
- 2-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon all-spice
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 whole eggs
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 ripe pear, shredded
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- For the frosting, add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, mix until the frosting is light and fluffy. Cover, and chill until ready to use on the cupcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, spices and brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine the molasses, eggs, butter, diced pears and apple cider.
- Using a hand mixer, mix the wet ingredients very well, and then pour them into the dry ingredients.
- Continue to mix until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Spoon the batter into each muffin cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes or until the centers are completely baked.
- Remove from the oven, and transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack. Let cool for 1 hour or until the cupcakes are completely cooled.
- Once cooled, frost with the cinnamon frosting, and serve.