Busy day? Plan ahead, and come home to a fabulous and savory mu shu chicken meal. The slow cooker does all the work, and you get all the glory.
Busy days call for a little help when it comes to dinner. Bring out the slow cooker for a Chinese-inspired meal that is super simple to prepare. Mu shu chicken is great to serve because it’s filling, flavorful, and it makes use of bunches of veggies.
I like to add a little spicy flavor to this dish, so I include chili garlic sauce. You could use your favorite hot sauce instead if that’s more convenient, and then wrap everything up in flour tortillas — it’s that simple. Plum sauce served on the side brings this dish a sweet and savory finish.
Slow cooker mu shu chicken recipe
This classic restaurant-style meal couldn’t be easier to make (and cleanup is a breeze too). Add or swap your favorite veggies, like bok choy or mushrooms, to make this dish suit your tastes.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 4-6 hours | Total time: 4 hours 5 minutes-6 hours 5 minutes
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2/3 cup carrots, diced
- 4 green onions, ends trimmed, cut into small pieces, divided
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce or hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 4 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- Sesame seeds, as garnish
- Plum sauce, to serve on the side (optional)
- To the bottom of a slow cooker, add the pepper, cabbage, carrots and 3 of the green onions. Add the chicken over the top, followed by the hoisin sauce, soy sauce and chili garlic sauce (or hot sauce).
- Cover, and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with the water, and whisk until smooth. Pour into the slow cooker, and whisk until the mixture thickens. Cover, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes longer.
- Serve the mu shu chicken in the flour tortillas with the remaining green onion and the sesame seeds as garnish. Roll the tortillas tightly, and serve warm with plum sauce, if desired.