Fluffy apple-gingerbread pancakes make for a spicy and sweet brunch
I never loved gingerbread. People go crazy for it this time of year, and I could never understand why. I'd look at those flat, pathetic gingerbread men cookies and just not get the hype. There's nothing appealing about a spicy flat cookie, in my opinion.
But then I realized gingerbread is more than just freaky, flat, man cookies, and as long as it's not overdone, it's actually a great flavor profile.
These pancakes combine the spiciness of gingerbread with the sweetness of apple, and they put the cookies to shame. Fluffy, moist and topped with a killer fall syrup, these are the perfect way to start your day.
Apple-gingerbread pancakes recipe
Apples and gingerbread combine for a spicy-sweet seasonal breakfast creation.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
For the syrup
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
For the pancakes
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour (or white whole-wheat flour)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- In a small saucepot, combine the syrup ingredients, bring them to a simmer, and let cook/reduce for 5 to 7 minutes. Turn off the heat, and set aside.
- Preheat the pancake griddle or skillet over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, spices and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, molasses, eggs and butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and stir until combined.
- Add in the diced apples, and stir.
- Grease the pancake griddle or skillet, and drop 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle, making 3 to 4 pancakes at a time.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, flip, and cook the other sides. Transfer the pancakes to a plate, and continue cooking until the batter is finished.
- Top the pancakes with the syrup cider, and serve.