Delicious baked peppers stuffed with quinoa, black beans and cheese
Somehow it is the fall and almost the holidays, and without fail once the temperature starts to drop my body starts to crave warm, nourishing and comfort foods. It's time for warm blankets, movie marathons and healthy fall and winter dishes, and I'm kicking off the fall with my baked stuffed peppers recipe.
This dish has become a healthy staple in our home starting in the fall and throughout the winter. My baked stuffed peppers recipe has quinoa and black beans for some healthy protein and plenty of vegetables for extra taste. Hope you enjoy!
- 15 Minutes
- Cook 30 minutes
- 1 can of black beans (Eden Foods are the best)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups sliced tomatoes
- Coconut oil
- Shredded cheese
Photo credit: Ambitious Kitchen
- Cook quinoa, one cup of quinoa to two cups of water. Boil the water and add the quinoa and bring to a simmer. Add in a spoonful of coconut oil to give the quinoa a little bit of sweetness.
- Cut the tops off of the peppers (you can use any color you like!) and set chopped peppers aside.
- Chop up all of the veggies, including the tops of the peppers, and place into a skillet with a spoonful of coconut oil. Cook until veggies are tender. Add in tomatoes, black beans (make sure you rinse the beans or buy low sodium) and quinoa once the veggies have been cooked.
- Reduce heat to low, cover skillet and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Spoon everything into the peppers and place them into an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Add the shredded cheese to your liking. You don't have to put any if you want to keep it extra healthy.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the peppers are tender.
- Serve and enjoy.