Pizza-flavored kale chips will make it easier to snack healthy
If you haven't tried a kale chip yet, then you need to hop right onto that bandwagon. Even my mom, who claims kale is just too "green" for her liking, loves them.
When done right (and I fully believe in the low-and-slow chip method versus the roast-high-and-fast one), kale chips are crunchy, salty little bites of green heaven and one of the few things you can eat the entire baking sheet of without a single morsel of guilt.
This version takes the little green powerhouse to the next level by making them taste like pizza. Yep, pizza — you read that right. A combination of tomatoes, spices, cheese and nuts somehow miraculously becomes a legit pizza flavor that coats each chip. So crunch away, and enjoy not thinking twice about how much you just ate.
Pizza kale chips recipe
This healthy kale snack tastes like your favorite guilty pleasure: pizza!
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 2 hours | Total time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- 1 bunch kale, washed, removed from stems and torn into "chip-size" pieces
- 1/2 cup almonds or cashews (either one or a combination of both)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (dry, not packed in olive oil)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to the lowest setting possible (for most ovens this is 170 degrees F).
- Into a food processor, place the nuts, and process until finely chopped.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the water, and process until combined and finely chopped.
- With the processor running, add the water slowly. Scrap down the sides as needed, and process until you reach a liquid/paste consistency.
- Place the kale into a large bowl, pour the mixture on top of the kale, and toss well until each piece of kale is coated.
- Lay the kale out on 2 baking sheets in a single layer.
- Place both baking sheets into the oven for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours (this will depend on your oven), rotating the pans halfway through.
- The kale should be crispy after about 2 hours. Remove from the oven, and serve immediately.