For those days when you want to prepare a simple and healthy home-cooked meal for your family without really putting in so much work, this recipe is for you.
I make my weeknight dinners as simple as possible but without compromising the healthy aspect of the meal. I usually go for fish fillets partnered with fresh salads, because it is the easiest healthy meal I can think of. Here is one of my favorite weeknight meals with simple flavors everyone will like: quick fish fillets crusted in polenta.
Polenta-crusted fish fillets with tomato salad recipe
Instead of breadcrumbs, polenta is a good if not better alternative to coat the fish. It gives the perfect crunch outside and keeps the fish tender and moist inside. Pair it with a simple tomato and onion salad that’s dressed with a basic French vinaigrette to complete this simple, quick and healthy meal.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, separated, 6 ounces minced and 6 ounces halved
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1-1/2 pounds fish fillets (sole, halibut or similar fish)
- 1 cup polenta
- Sunflower oil, canola oil or any other oil, for frying
- Baby lettuce
- To make the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together the wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the minced tomatoes and onions. Add 1/2 the vinaigrette, and mix well. Set aside.
- Cover the fish fillets with the polenta. Pat them lightly to make the polenta stick to the fish.
- In a large saucepan with sunflower oil over medium heat, fry both sides of the fish. When both sides are golden brown, transfer them to a plate covered with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, top the fish with the minced tomatoes and onions. For the side, mix together the lettuce, halved tomatoes and remaining vinaigrette.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.