Savory sweet potato-goat cheese grits in just 15 minutes
Growing up, I had a few too many bowls of gross pancake house grits that turned me off to them entirely for years. The fact that they were as bland as can be and the little jelly packets that were my only topping options really didn't do anything for me, I'd much rather have the pancake stacks and Belgian waffles piled high with whipped cream.
But I recently gave grits another shot, though I went the savory route. So. Much. Better.
This breakfast concoction has mashed sweet potatoes and goat cheese mixed in and is topped with a runny fried egg. Way better than anything you'll find in the pancake house.
Savory sweet potato-goat cheese grits recipe
These savory grits are perfect for breakfast, come together in 15 minutes and are filled with sweet potatoes and goat cheese.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grits
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 2 eggs
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- In a small saucepot, bring the water and milk to a boil.
- Once the water and milk are boiling, add the grits to the pot, and lower the heat to medium-low. Stir frequently until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add the goat cheese and sweet potatoes, and continue stirring until the cheese has melted and sweet potatoes are incorporated. Turn off the heat, and set the pot aside.
- Heat a small greased skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs once the skillet is hot, and fry.
- Spoon the grits into 2 bowls, top each with a fried egg, and garnish with the green onions.