A healthy seasonal salad with roasted pears is just what you asked for
Without fail, as soon as the holiday season rolls around, I get an insane craving for roasted pears, and soon my menu is filled with ways to feature this soft, fleshy fruit. Whether it's sprinkled with sweets, baked into a pie or mixed into a fresh salad, I really can't get enough of this seasonal fruit.
What makes this salad even better than the hundreds of other roasted pear salads out there is the addition of beets, blue cheese, roasted sweet potatoes, Parmesan cheese and a creamy, zesty Dijon vinaigrette. You may have just found your new all-time favorite salad recipe (and definitely a recipe that'll blow the socks off any other salads this holiday season).
Roasted pear and sweet potato salad with fennel and beets recipe
Looking for a festive and delicious holiday salad for your feasts? Look no further than this amazing fresh pear salad made with an assortment of other delicious fall produce. Don't skimp on the pears here — the more, the better.
Prep time: 30-35 minutes | Cook time: 15-20 minutes | Total time: 45-55 minutes
For the salad
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped sweet potato
- 2 pears, sliced in half
- 1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 fennel bulb, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large red beet
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed nuts
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the sweet potatoes, onions, pear halves and fennel into a large roasting pan. Drizzle all the vegetables with the olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Trim and peel the beet. Chop it in half, and place it into a separate roasting pan.
- Roast both pans for about 20 minutes. Then, using a spatula, toss the vegetables, and roast another 5 to 8 minutes or until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Once slightly cooled, slice the pears into slices. Carefully slice the beets into thin slices.
- In a large bowl, mix the greens together with the roasted vegetables. Toss in the blue cheese, nuts and Parmesan cheese.
- Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette by whisking together the red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, vegetable oil, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Toss the salad dressing with the mixed salad. Serve with extra Parmesan cheese.