Pancakes on a stick with a bacon and sausage surprise inside
How do you make pancakes even better? Stuff them with bacon and sausage, and put them on a stick. These addictive kebabs are like breakfast corn dogs, and it's hard to eat just one. I recommend planning on at least two per person.
You can use any brand of sausage and bacon, but heat-and-serve sausage and thin-cut bacon will cook the fastest and give off the least amount of grease.
Stick your sausages onto the shish kebab sticks.
Cut each strip of bacon in half.
Wrap each sausage with a halved bacon strip.
Place the kebabs onto a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet, and cook at 400 degrees F for about 10 minutes. Blot them with paper towels once done.
As you can see in the photo, the bacon should be fully cooked and have shrunk around the sausage. This will help it to not separate as you dip it into the pancake batter.
Carefully dip the bacon-wrapped sausage into your batter, making sure it's completely coated.
Holding the end of the stick, carefully place your battered bacon-wrapped sausage into the pan of hot oil.
When 1 side is golden, rotate to cook the other side. You might need to tilt the pan a bit to cook the end that's closer to your hand. Place the cooked kebab onto a paper towel, and repeat with the remaining bacon-wrapped sausages.
Serve the bacon-wrapped sausage pancake pops with real maple syrup for dipping.
Bacon-wrapped sausage pancake kebabs recipe
This breakfast on a stick is surprisingly easy to make and turns breakfast into a special treat. For convenience, I used Krusteaz pancake mix. You can use your favorite mix or pancake recipe, but just make sure the batter is nice and thick to coat the sausages well.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 8 heat-and-serve breakfast sausages
- 4 slices thin-cut bacon
- 1 cup Krusteaz pancake mix
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 1 cup canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Skewer the sausages on 8 shish kebab sticks.
- Cut each bacon slice in half, and wrap 1 half-slice of bacon around each sausage. Make sure to wrap it at a slight angle (like a barbershop pole) to cover the whole sausage.
- Place the skewers onto a foil-lined baking sheet, and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, until the bacon is cooked and has shrunk around the sausage.
- While your skewers are cooking, in a medium bowl, mix together the pancake mix and water.
- In a skillet, heat the oil to about 350 degrees F.
- When the bacon-wrapped sausages are done cooking in the oven, remove them, and blot with paper towels.
- One at a time, dip the bacon-wrapped sausages into the pancake batter, covering them completely.
- Carefully holding the end of the skewer, place the battered bacon-wrapped sausage into the hot oil. Rotate the skewer to cook every side to a nice, golden color.
- Rest the kebabs on paper towels until ready to serve. Serve with real maple syrup for dipping.