Serve Indian-inspired chickpea phyllo bundles for a yummy appetizer
The best appetizers for gatherings are the kind that taste great and that are convenient to serve. At least that's what I always look for. These Indian-influenced chickpea, carrot and walnut bundles with yogurt-mint sauce are just that.
Chickpeas, walnuts and mint are ingredients often used in Indian-inspired meals. I wanted to include some of these tasty foods in an easy-to-make appetizer that also looks pretty on a plate.
The phyllo dough used to wrap up these delicious treats is nice and crunchy, baked golden and crisp. The yogurt-mint dip adds a vibrant and refreshing touch to dollop on top of these bundles.
Impress your guests with this Indian-inspired appetizer. It makes a pretty presentation for a festive gathering.
Chickpea, carrot and walnut bundles with yogurt-mint dip recipe
Phyllo dough is perfect for this appetizer because it bakes up crispy and golden. Remember to work quickly with it and to keep any unused sheets covered with a damp towel. These little bundles are the perfect size to serve at your next party.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Bake time: 12-15 minutes | Total time: 22-25 minutes
For the dip
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup mint (more to taste), finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the bundles
- 2 rolls prepackaged phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup carrots, rough-chopped
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Parchment paper
For the dip
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor, and blend until smooth. Taste, and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the bundles
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, and set them aside.
- To a food processor, add the carrots, walnuts, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice, and blend until the carrot and walnuts are small.
- To a bowl, add the chickpeas, and mash them, leaving some chunks remaining. Add the carrot mixture to the chickpeas, and season with the salt, black pepper and red pepper.
- Unroll the phyllo dough. Use a damp towel to keep on the sheets you're not working with. Use a sharp knife to cut the opened roll in half.
- Place 1 sheet (the ones cut in half) of the phyllo onto a work surface, and brush the entire sheet with the melted butter. Continue with 2 more sheets. Add a fourth sheet, but don't brush it with butter. Cut the sheets into 4 even-sized squares.
- Add 1 heaping teaspoon of the chickpea mixture to the center of each square. Gather up the edges of the phyllo, and bring them to the center, squeezing them slightly to help hold them together.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Serve with the yogurt-mint dip.
Serve this pretty, golden and flavorful appetizer.