Bacon and feta take this baked sweet potato to the next level
Why not serve something that's both delicious and loaded with health benefits? Sweet potatoes are high in fiber, high in antioxidants, have a low glycemic index and are an excellent source of potassium.
Here's a quick and easy side or main dish using this super food, sweet potatoes. Taking what could be an ordinary side and taking it up another level or two, I've baked (or microwaved) sweet potatoes and refilled them with a tasty combination of the sweet potato pulp, Hidden Valley Ranch® Dressing and feta cheese. Garnish the top of this loaded baked sweet potato with some bacon, feta cheese and a toss of fresh green onions and you have not only a delicious side dish to serve, but a beautiful one as well!
Whip it up during the busy week, weekends and it's particularly appropriate for your holiday tables. As a complementary and healthful side dish, serve it with a roasted chicken, turkey, pork or a good cut of beef.
Baked sweet potatoes with Hidden Valley Ranch® dressing, feta and bacon
Prep time: 15 - 20 minutes
2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, washed/scrubbed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons Hidden Valley Ranch® dressing, original or light
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt to taste
- 2 strips of bacon (regular, smoked or maple), cooked until crispy and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons fresh green onions, chopped fine
- Black pepper to taste
- Using a standard fork, poke 8 - 12 deep holes all over the sweet potato so that moisture can escape during cooking.
- Working with each potato one at a time, wrap in a clean paper towel and place in microwave. Cook on high for 5 - 6 minutes, turning after 4 minutes (sweet potato is done when flesh beneath the skin feels soft and a long toothpick or skewer can go through the potato easily without any resistance).
- When both potatoes are cooked and cool enough to be handled, create a dotted line from one end of the potato to the other end with a fork, on one side. Crack it open by squeezing both ends towards the middle. The flesh and skin will blossom open.
- Scoop the potato filling out and place in a medium-sized bowl, leaving about 1/4-inch thick potato shell.
- Add the Hidden Valley Ranch® Dressing and feta cheese to the scooped-out potato. Using a hand mixer, blend until light and fluffy. Add salt to taste.
- Place potato filling mixture back into each of the two hollowed-out sweet potato shells. Evenly sprinkle and distribute the crumbled bacon on top of each potato. Sprinkle each with green onions and crumbled feta cheese. Add pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Disclosure: This post is part of a collaboration with Hidden Valley Ranch® and SheKnows.