These delicious and hearty lasagna roll-ups are vegetarian and packed to the brim with flavor. They use fresh vegetables, healthy oils and a tomato-packed sauce, but the cheese and pasta give these roll-ups some hearty staying power.
Begin by boiling the lasagna noodles in a large pot of water. You’ll want to cook the noodles to al dente, meaning almost done but not quite. The reason for this is that they are getting baked later on, so you don’t want the noodles to be overdone and lose their shape.
Once they have been boiled to al dente, drain the noodles, and rinse them under cold water to stop the cooking. Then spread the noodles evenly onto a cutting board so they don’t dry into tangled shapes.
While the noodles are cooking and cooling, you can prepare the vegetables. Remove the stems and seeds from some miniature (or regular-size) bell peppers. Finely chop the peppers.
Remove the stem and then finely chop the kale. The last vegetable-based ingredient in these roll-ups is chunky salsa. I like to use the salsa freshly made in the grocery store, but any kind will work.
Once the veggies are all chopped up, sauté them in a saucepan over medium heat with some olive oil. Start with the peppers and some garlic, then add in the kale and lastly the salsa. Once the vegetables are pretty tender, remove them from the heat.
It’s time to get stuffing these noodles. Mix the ricotta cheese together with an egg and some dried parsley. Then spread that cheese mixture evenly among all the noodles. Next, top with the roasted vegetables.
Once all the lasagna noodles are evenly stuffed, it’s time to roll them up. Just take one end, and roll the noodle tightly toward the other end.
Spread some marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish, and gently place the lasagna roll-ups on top of the marinara sauce. Then cover the lasagna rolls with some more marinara sauce and some mozzarella cheese.
Bake covered for 25 minutes, then remove the foil, and bake for another 10 minutes. By this time the flavors will be well melded and the cheese nice and melted.
Remove from the oven, and enjoy these delicious, hearty, healthy lasagna roll-ups.
Hearty roasted vegetable lasagna roll-ups recipe
These roasted vegetable lasagna roll-ups are stuffed with fresh vegetables and packed with nutrients. They are hearty, healthy and delicious.
Prep time: 30 minutes | Bake time: 35 minutes I Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups sweet bell peppers, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups kale, stem removed, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chunky vegetable salsa
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Boil the lasagna noodles according to the package directions to al dente. Remove from the heat, drain, and lay out to dry in a straight shape.
- While the noodles boil, dice the sweet peppers, and chop the kale.
- Into a large saucepan over medium heat, pour the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and then the chopped sweet peppers. Sauté until tender, and then add in the kale for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the chunky salsa, and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg and dried parsley.
- Spread the ricotta mixture evenly among the lasagna noodles.
- Roll up the lasagna noodles.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish, spread 1 cup of marinara sauce. Place the lasagna roll-ups on top.
- Pour the remaining marinara sauce over the roll-ups, and then cover with shredded cheese.
- Cover the pan with foil, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the roll-ups from the oven, top with parsley if desired, and serve immediately.