Italian baked Parmesan mussels pack on the flavor
People have mixed views about combining seafood and cheese. Some people would say no to it, but some Italians from the southern part of the country would surprise you with these baked stuffed mussels.
Just the thought of combining seafood with cheese — both tasty ingredients — is a curiosity to the taste buds. It also gives us a peek at how southern Italians make spectacular dishes with unexpected ingredients. Explosive would be my best description of these mussels. They are best enjoyed warm as appetizers. So begin a meal with southern Italian flavors, and taste for yourself how incredible they are.
Italian baked Parmesan mussels recipe
You won't believe how explosive the flavors are in these mussels. The Parmesan cheese combined with the mussels is simply incredible.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 pounds mussels, cleaned
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup Parmesan, grated
- 3/4 cup mussel broth, plus more if needed
- 1/8 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 395 degrees F.
- In a saucepan over medium heat with olive oil, sauté 1 garlic clove until it turns golden, and then discard it.
- Add the mussels, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the wine, cook for another 5 minutes, and then turn off the heat.
- Separate the broth from the mussels, and set both aside in different bowls.
- Remove 1 side of the mussels' shells. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, the remaining garlic clove, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the parsley and the mussel broth. Add more broth if the mixture is too dry.
- Fill up the shells with the mixture, and press lightly to make them compact.
- Place the mussels onto a baking pan, and bake for 15 minutes.