There’s something very cool about eating right out of a personal-size, piping-hot iron skillet. And since it’s your very own serving, go ahead and eat with your fingers too. Why not?
These chilaquiles make a wonderful and filling breakfast. The chili softens up the tortilla chips, the eggs go great with chili, and the melted cheese just ties the whole thing together. I think the hardest thing about this recipe is spelling “chilaquiles” correctly. Making the dish is the easy part.
This is one of those breakfasts that makes a great dinner too. So why not have a nice and relaxing breakfast — or even dinner at home, complete with fuzzy slippers — and make these chilaquiles? You’ll be so glad you did.
Personal pan breakfast chili chilaquiles recipe
Chilaquiles are a hearty breakfast to get your day started off on the right track. As a bonus, they can be served in a personal pan, so all you have to do is grab a fork and dig in.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 35 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes
- 8 corn tortillas, cut in quarters
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 5 dashes ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 a tomato, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
For the tortilla chips
- To a medium-size skillet, add the oil. To test the oil to see if it’s hot enough, drop 1 tortilla into the oil. If the oil bubbles, then add the remaining tortillas, and cook (in batches if needed, depending on the size of the pan) until they are golden brown on each side.
- Remove the tortilla chips from the skillet, and place them onto a paper towel. Set aside for a moment.
For the scrambled eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To a small bowl, add the eggs and milk.
- Heat a medium-size skillet on medium heat, and add the butter.
- When the butter melts, add the egg mixture.
- Stir as the eggs scramble, and continue until they are thoroughly cooked.
- In small iron skillets, add a layer of tortilla chips and then a layer of chili.
- Top with a layer of the scrambled eggs and another layer of tortilla chips.
- Add another layer of the remaining chili.
- Top with the cheese.
- Bake until the cheese melts.
- Top with tomatoes, green onions and sour cream.
- Serve while piping hot.