Cranberry-orange porridge to enjoy on winter mornings
Oatmeal is my favorite winter breakfast treat. It's comforting, filling and can be customized just about any way I want. If I want it sweet, I can add in maple sugar and fruit, and if I want it savory, I can top it with a fried egg. Since it's so easy to customize, I don't mind making it every day.
This version of oatmeal is sweetened up with a homemade orange-flavored cranberry sauce. It adds the perfect balance of sweet and tart. Plus it brightens up your morning with all the use of citrus.
Cranberry-orange porridge recipe
This simple breakfast oatmeal dish is packed full of homemade cranberry sauce and a burst of fresh orange flavor. It's a perfect stick-to-your-ribs, cold-winter-morning breakfast.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 4 servings instant oatmeal
- To a medium-size saucepan, add the frozen cranberries, orange juice, brown sugar and orange zest.
- Cook over medium heat until the berries start to burst and the mixture cooks down until thick.
- Remove from the heat, and set aside.
- Prepare the oatmeal according to the box or bag directions.
- Portion the oatmeal into 4 bowls, and top with the homemade cranberry-orange sauce.
- Serve warm.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.